Gavin Routledge is Chief Back Officer at his practice Active X Backs in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Gavin is an Osteopath with 30 years professional experience in lower back pain and sciatica. Gavin graduated in 1991 from the British School of Osteopathy as a Gold Medallist and is now a Vice Patron at the University College of Osteopathy. He co-authored the book “The Back Book” with Gavin Hastings OBE in 1996; and in 2017 he authored “Active X Backs – a long term solution to lower back pain”. He is a much sought-after public speaker on the topics of pain, health and physical activity.
Gavin is passionate about helping to move people as far from illness and pain as possible and practises what he preaches including cycling, running, swimming, body-weight and free-weight training, practising yoga and meditation.
Gavin leads his team to provide both in clinic care and online consultations to individuals, health and fitness professionals and organisations looking to provide their clients with online care.
During this chat, we covered:
- setting goals and why they play such a big role in health, pain management and recovery
- how to sit to help avoid back pain
- changes in load and activity and how to minimise the risk of injury, particularly during exercise
- the role your attitude towards pain plays
- daily exercises to help protect against body imbalance
- how Gavin has taken his business online and, as always,
- much more